- Exodus 20:12 - Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you.
- Ephesians 6:1 - Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right.
- Colossians 3:20 - Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord.
Pray for God’s guidance and help in raising your children.
- Judges 13:12 - [Manoah, Samsom’s father, asked the angel] “When your words are fulfilled, what is to be the rule that governs the boy’s life and work?”
- Proverbs 3:5-6 - Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths.
- James 1:5 - If you lack wisdom ask God, and He will give it to you.
Treat children gently and in love.
- Luke 1:17 - And he [John the Baptist] will go on before the Lord… to turn the hearts of the parents to their children.
- Ephesians 4:32 - Be kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ’s sake has forgiven you.
- Colossians 3:21 - Fathers, do not be so hard on your children that they will give up trying to do what is right.
- 1 Peter 4:8 - Above all things have fervent love among yourselves, because love will cover a multitude of sins.
Patience, mercy, and reasoning are the most effective.
- Proverbs 16:6 - Through love and truth sins are atoned for…
- Romans 2:4 - God…is very kind to you, puts up with you, and deals patiently with you…because he is trying to lead you to repent.
- 1 Thessalonians 2:11-12 - We dealt with each of you as a father deals with his own children, encouraging, comforting and urging you to live lives worthy of God
Parents are responsible to both teach and set a good example for their children.
- Deuteronomy 4:9 - Be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them fade from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them.
- Deuteronomy 6:6-7 - [God’s] commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.
- Ephesians 6:4 - Parents, do not treat your children in such a way as to make them angry. Instead, raise them with Christian discipline and instruction.
Parents are responsible to correct their children when necessary.
- Proverbs 3:12 - The Lord corrects the one he loves, just as a father corrects a child he cares about.
- Proverbs 19:18 - Discipline your children while they are young enough to learn. If you don't, you are helping them destroy themselves.
- Proverbs 29:17 - Correct your children whenever they are wrong. Then you will always be proud of them. They will never make you ashamed.
Godly parenting will guide children all through life.
- Psalm 37:31 - They have learned God’s teachings, and they will never stop living right.
- Proverbs 6:20, 22-23 - My son, keep your father’s command and do not forsake your mother’s teaching. When you walk, they will guide you; when you sleep, they will watch over you; when you awake, they will speak to you. For this command is a lamp, this teaching is a light, and correction and instruction are the way to life.
- Proverbs 22:6 - Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it.
- John 10:27-28 - My sheep hear my voice and I know them and they follow Me. And I give to them eternal life and they will never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of My hand.
- 2 Timothy 3:15 - You have known the Holy Scriptures since you were a child. These Scriptures are able to make you wise. And that wisdom leads to salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.